For some people, owning an exotic pet can be quite an adventure and a challenge. There are many exotic pets that you can choose from. And for some, a tarantula is the best one on the list.
Tarantulas are spider-like species but are relatively bigger in size. They are usually found in the jungles and some species are supposed to have deadly venoms. They could also come in different colors and varieties.
If you want to get a tarantula for an exotic pet, here is a guide on which one to choose and how to take care of it.
- Get the species that is just right in size. The size of the tarantula also corresponds to its care and maintenance. A bigger tarantula requires a larger space. It also needs more food and more care.
- Get the spider good enough for beginners. The list includes the Chilean Rose, the Costa Rican Zebra, or the Mexican Redknee, among others. These are the types of tarantulas that are mostly ground dwellers or burrowers. They also tend to move slowly.
- Get the tarantulas that isn’t much or not entirely poisonous. Again, there are some species that can cause injuries, even to its owners. If you aren’t an expert about the tarantulas just yet, maybe you can ask the pet store you are going to buy it from which types are not venomous and go for it.
- For pets, prefer the female ones. Female tarantulas are supposed to live longer than their male counterparts. As an example, the female Chilean rose tarantula could live as long as 20 years or more. The male tarantula of the same kind is expected to live for only two years.
- Get the younger tarantula. Some exotic pet shops know how old the pets are that they sell. Try to ask how old the tarantula is you like. If they are old enough, their lifespan may be nearing its end. And that isn’t a good choice, definitely.
Here are the basic things that you should know when you intend to get tarantulas for a pet. Be careful not to buy too many, especially if you are just starting out. Try to buy one species at a time and then know everything about it. Get a feel on how it is being taken cared of. Practice with it for some time, until you are sure you are ready to handle more of them.